I started 2012 as an unpublished writer with around 10 submitted stories. I also had a newly completed novel that needed editing.
I'd set myself a target of selling 5 stories this year so it's great that I managed to beat that total. I am also happy with the personal feedback I've had from agents about the novel. The only slight disappointment this year is that I didn't manage to write more short stories. I wrote 13 in total which is only slightly more than 1 a month. I'd imagined that I might try and write nearer 25. It gives me something to aim for in 2013 though, even if I do have an idea for a really big novel that might take up a bit of time...
I wanted to read 50 books this year and managed 39. As I did last year, here are my favourites from what I got through.
Top 5 Fiction Books of 2012
- Freedom by Jonathan Franzen
- Swamplandia! by Karen Russell
- Flip by Martyn Bedford
- A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness and Siobhan Dowd
- I, Partridge by Steve Coogan et al
Top 5 Non-Fiction Books of 2012
- The Psychopath Test by Jon Ronson
- Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell
- Zen and the Art of Writing by Ray Bradbury
- In America by Stephen Fry
- Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil by John Berendt
Favourite Short Story of 2012
In Canada by Michael Wehunt (unpublished)